Monday, October 4, 2010

From the Outside Looking In

"For the Lord Himself shall descend from Heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first." 1 Thessalonians 4:16


I don't know about you, but the promise of that trumpet just gives me goose bumps. Isn't that exciting stuff? How amazing that will be! Sometimes I wonder when it will happen and what it will be like. It's gonna be so awesome.

When I think about the time of the trumpet it makes me realize that I don't know when Christ will return. That, in itself, is a pretty humbling thought. I wonder what I'll be doing at that moment and I hope and pray that whatever it is, it will be gloryfing to God. I can look back over my life at certain moments in time with relief that Christ didn't return in those moments! Not shining moments if you know what I mean! I've even had some moments in the very recent past dealing with some unforgiveness in my heart where I'm relieved that Christ didn't return at that moment. He's given me grace to deal with the unforgiveness in seeking the Holy Spirit to help me.

This week, we traveled out of town for a memorial golf tournament. It was one that is held each year in memory of my late brother. The proceeds go toward a scholarship that helps men who feel the calling to switch careers and go into the ministry. Often those men have wives and children and struggle in the financial part of going to seminary. So it's neat to see some good come of such a tragedy. Well, this year, there was a journalism student doing interviews with family and friends about my brother and the scholarship. He wanted to know about my brother's life. Of course the interview brought back wonderful memories but was tinged with pain and longing as well. I can think back over my brother's life and what people had to say about him after he died. As a side note, I think people often put the deceased loved ones on a pedastal a bit when remembering them. It's as though the person lived a sinless life. However, though my brother was indeed a sinner saved by God's amazing grace, he was an incredible young man. Just a month shy of 21 years, he had lived an abundant life. He was generous, loyal, a man of his word with a huge servant's heart, very slow to anger, merciful, forgiving and would stop what he was doing to just listen to those who needed a listening ear. As a matter of fact, a friend of his came to us at last year's tournament and told us that he'd told him before he died that he hoped to be a missionary in the future. I never knew that.

All that to say, in thinking over the interviews I realize that my brother left behind a legacy. Because of his death and God's grace and divine power and provision, around $100,000 has been awarded in scholarship. We've seen a number of people come to a saving relationship with Jesus Christ as well and smile when we think of others coming to Christ through the pastors coming out of seminary. How great is our God?

Now I must ask: What will be my legacy? If Christ returns today, what have I done for Him? Will the last thing I've done be something of eternal value? How many will be joining me in the air because of my faithful witness? Was I a willing vessel for God? If someone were doing an interview about my life, what would be said? How did I spend my days? Was I selfish or was I serving? Was I forgiving or was I bitter and hard? Was I one who would take the time to listen? To extend mercy? To share God's word? How about this: what would God say about my heart? Did I have love and forgiveness in my heart? Did I have mercy in my heart?

One of the neatest stories I heard about my brother after he passed away was a testimony from an elderly lady. She wasn't part of our family. In fact, I never even met her. I heard the story from a family friend. Apparently, when my brother was in high school and college he'd go and visit this lady. He'd check on her and get things for her. So many times when we thought he was hanging out with friends that was what he was doing and he felt no need to tell us about it. He understood that his reward would be in heaven and there was no need to brag on his deeds. That just brings tears to my eyes.

So, let's pretend we're on the outside looking inward out ourselves. What do we see that needs to change? We can't change the circumstances around us. We can't change other people, but we can change our hearts through the power of the Holy Spirit. We can change the way we live our lives. We can begin to live like Christ is coming back at any moment. He's coming soon and I want to be ready!! How about you?

Father, help us where we're weak. Please Lord, just fill us with you. Cleanse us and renew our hearts. I don't know when you'll call for me, but I'm so excited! I know the way I'm supposed to show my love for You is by my obedience to Your commands. I know my heart must grieve the Holy Spirit at times, Lord. For that, I mourn. But Lord, your word promises comfort to those who mourn sin. Lord, I know that doesn't mean you're promising me a comfortable life, but You are promising to guide me through it. Help me. You are my strength, my armor. Thank you, Father. In my Savior's name, Amen.

No comments: