"Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom" Job 32:7
I heard something kinda sad last week. Probably my favorite preacher of our time was talking about the future of his church. He wanted to help the current body in some long-range planning for the future of the church as he knows his time will come to an end not so long from now. That preacher is Chuck Swindoll and I understand his plans because he is 76 years old. I just hate to see the day when he steps down. I love to hear him. He speaks with such wisdom and is unapologetic in what he has to say. He preaches with the boldness and assurance that comes from wisdom in a long life lived with Christ.
You see, I think there's something to be said for wisdom with age. Don't get me wrong, there are some solid, and I mean solid young people in our churches. There are even many whose spiritual growth exceeds that of the older generation. However, I think there's something to be said for the experience that comes with a long life lived here on earth. Think of all the lessons learned, good and bad, that those in their later years have learned and can share with the younger people.
It's a little sad to me that often younger people view the elders as set in their ways. They may be, but in keeping that mindset, I'd say those young people have some preconceived notions of their own. Often, the younger generation doesn't want to take the time to hear what the older generation has to say. It's unfortunate because so much is missed. The stories are often precious.
I'm so glad my children got to meet their granny and really get to know her before she died. She was my husband's grandmother. She died about three years ago at the age of 96. She was known by her whole community as Granny. In fact, when she became ill and was hospitalized, a family friend came to visit and asked to see her. When the receptionist asked for the name of the patient, the visitor's reply was, "You know, I don't even know her name! Everyone I know, me included, just calls her "Granny."
Let me paint a mental portrait of Granny for you. She was a petite little thing, but soft as grannies should be! She had long silver hair that she always wore in a bun and refused to cut despite others telling her to do so. She wore thick-rimmed glasses and was always cold even in the summer. Every time I saw her she had a smile on the face even though she'd lived a life full of pain and loss. She looked just like the face from a bottle of pancake syrup. She was EXACTLY what you'd picture when you think of a granny.
Granny taught me some life lessons just by watching her that will stay with me forever. She taught me about sacrificial love. I remember telling her we wouldn't be able to make it to a certain family event because we had another obligation. She told me, "Well, we'll miss you but you just come when you can. It's okay. Don't you worry about it. We love you." She didn't make me feel bad or feel bad for herself, she just demonstrated love. Another thing I learned was servanthood. Granny deserved to be served but would never let anyone serve her. She served everyone and often waited through an entire meal before serving herself in case she needed to get something for someone. Others' needs were more important than her own. I also learned the importance of listening from her. Despite years of experience, she often sat quietly and let others do the talking as she listened intently. Hers was a life of self-denial and love for others. She was a quiet servant who left behind a host of loving admirers.
I guess my point is that it's easy for young people to discount the wisdom of the elderly. Time can be of the essence and it may seem that taking the time to listen to stories of experience may take too long. However, sometimes those tidbits of wisdom trump anything and everything on that day's to-do list. So, I think it's important to take the time to listen to experience and wisdom and to definitely respect the older generation. So much can and should be learned from our elders.
Father, thank you for providing us with godly mentors. Lord, it takes us a lifetime to learn some important lessons and much experience on how to best handle certain situations. We desperately need mentoring from those whom you've called to yourself, guided through your Holy Spirit, and matured in faith. We thank You for Your word and for giving us insight and wisdom. Lord, Your word says that the elders are to mentor. I pray that You would grow them in wisdom and give them the words to share with the younger generation. I also pray that the younger generation would be receptive to that wisdom. We praise You for Your perfect order in Your will and we ask that You would guide us in Your perfect wisdom in best keeping with that order. Thank you, Father, for loving us. We love You. In the precious name of Your Son, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment