Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Making it Through the Impossibilities

"For I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord" Jeremiah 1:8b

The holiday season is upon us! I cannot believe today is the first day of December! Where did the year 2010 go? We're in a busy and exciting time of year. We enjoy traditions, good food, giving and receiving presents, and especially, and of the most importance, celebrating the Savior's birth. How could anyone not be overflowing with the excitement the season brings? However, for some, the holidays bring with them painful reminders. It can be a time of year where some are left feeling lonely and in despair.

I've been listening to an incredible series on the impossibilities in life. Impossibilities are defined by Swindoll as those things which we have no control over; that which, try as we might, we cannot fix and it consumes us to a degree. For some, it's a financial situation due to a difficult economy. For others, it's an illness. Still others may have a strained relationship with another who refuses to change or yield, or there may be a child in rebellion. Whatever the case, the holidays can sometimes make the difficult situation feel magnified. I know, personally, after my brother died, the holidays were so tough. He died just a few days before Thanksgiving and just a few weeks before his birthday and Christmas. So that time of year just brought with it all of the painful reminders, and to a degree, it still does.
I find it so interesting how the Lord can repeat a topic in my life in different ways. As I said, I've been listening to that series on impossibilities (as I have an impossibility of my own-- I think we all do at some point in our lives) and then I decided to begin studying the book of Jeremiah this morning. I'll tell you this, I have a great God. He brought forth that same message through His written word of having faith in difficulty and how NOTHING is impossible with Him. Allow me to share...

We're told in verse 5 that God chose and sanctified Jeremiah to be a prophet to the nations before He was even born! God had already decided it and knew the outcome. As He later approached Jeremiah with this, Jeremiah reacted in fear (v 6) by saying he was too young for such a high calling. God reassured him that he would give him the words and deliver him. Then in v 9, (I think the NEATEST part!) he touched Jeremiah's mouth with his hand and breathed HIS own words into Jeremiah!!!

As I continued to study, one more thing struck me. In v 14, the Lord told Jeremiah that there would be calamity. There it is! God promised Jeremiah His word, He promised him deliverance, but He also promised Him calamity. HMMM.... So what do I glean from this? Personally, this is how this spoke to me: 1)I know the entire bible came from God so that it all needs to be viewed in equal value and not just the words of Jesus. So, the entire Bible is God's breath, God's voice to us! 2) It's all in there! In other words, I don't need to question God or what will happen in my life or what is happening. I can look to His words and His promises and know that I have a resource and guide through everything. 3) If I'm facing a task appointed by the Lord or a difficult situation, the Lord WILL empower me to endure the storm. I can know He will be magnified in the process.
So, I say the following to you and myself as encouragement: We may not know the reasons behind difficulty and we may not know what lies ahead, but we can rest assured God will guide us if we trust in Him. He may call us to some tough situations but we can rest knowing that all things are possible with Him because His word assures us of that!
If you're dealing with a difficult situation right now, take heart. Furthermore, if you know someone who has suffered a loss, going through a trial, a strained relationship, financial hardship, or whatever the case, call or write them soon. Give them encouragement. If they're facing this Christmas season all alone, invite them to be a part of your family's celebration. And if you're the one facing the trial, don't be afraid to lean on your brothers and sisters in Christ when they offer you help.
No matter the situation, let us focus on the joy we have in Christ. It's the kind of joy that endures no matter what we face.
Father, we just want to take the time to praise You for sending Your Son for us. Lord, as I read a church sign yesterday that said "Your greatest gift wasn't under a tree it was on it" I was so moved. I realized how quickly we can overlook the meaning of Christmas and the sacrifice You gave. Thank You for Your mercies made new each day. Thank You for Your deliverance and strength when we endure trials of many kinds. Thank You for Your perfect peace that surpasses all understanding. That perfect peace gives us joy. Forgive us for our lack of faith. Grow us and strengthen our faith. Guide us and continue to reveal Yourself to us. Thank You, Father. In our Savior's name we pray, Amen!

No comments: