Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nothing Like Clean Sheets

"Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water" Hebrews 10:22





This may sound strange, but I think I actually sleep better on clean sheets. Funny, I know. There's just something about getting into bed at night and snuggling in fresh, clean sheets that is just refreshing. The smell and feel of them just relaxes me. Makes me want to go back to bed! I mean, after a long day, who enjoys dirty sheets? Ahhh....



I read this verse this morning and just fell completely in love with it. It reminded me of my clean sheets. There's such a peace in knowing that in Jesus my conscience is clear no matter where I've been, what I've said or done or didn't do. I can enjoy the aroma and feel of real redemption. My chains are gone. I've been washed clean.

As an aside, something else came to mind as I read this. I thought of an episode of "America's Funniest Home Videos" we'd recorded just last week. There was a segment with a man and his dog standing in the foyer of his home. The man was facing the camera with a big grin on his face. The dog was facing the door as though eager to venture outside. The man left the door closed (screen or glass door) and told the dog to go out. The dog just sat there staring at the door waiting on the man to open it. Then, with the door still closed, the man stepped through the door to the outside. He told the dog to come out. The dog still sat there. I then realized there was no screen or glass in the door! It was just a frame which he could walk right through!. Yet the dog continued to sit there until the man opened the door. I don't know if the dog had been trained to sit and wait or if he truly just didn't get that he could've walked right through the door frame at his own leisure. My kids thought it was pretty funny that the dog just sat there when he could've walked right through! It was funny. I think the man actually won some money with that clip.

The story reminded me of me and probably reminds you of yourself. Many times I'm the one sitting at the door when I can just walk right through. I sit back as though I haven't been cleansed allowing a guilty conscience to eat at me. I don't want to give myself the liberty to enjoy the aroma, to feel the cleansing power. I fail to realize it's such a disservice. I'm forgetting I'm renewed and so are you who are in Him! Praise God! The door is opened. I knocked and the door was opened. It didn't close again and it won't. I have full access. All of God's children do. We must live like it and stop sitting at the door. We have to give ourselves the liberty to enjoy the freedom found in Him--- because He already has!


Father, thank you, thank you, thank you for your cleansing water. Thank you for the redemptive blood. Thank you for a clear conscience made clean by your pure, Living Water. We find this in You and You alone. My heart sings praise to You. We bow before Your presence and in all humility recognize your power, authority, mercy, love which exceeds everything in our own comprehension. Oh Father, I marvel at You. I'm so lowly but you lifted me. Your love lifted me. Thank you. Thank you. In you and you alone. Amen.

No comments: