"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harms." Proverbs 13:20
Life is full of so many decisions. We begin our adult lives by wondering where we'll go to college or work. We search for answers for career opportunities. We wonder about who we'll marry and where we'll live. Will we have children? If so, how many? Where will they go to school? Can we afford that house? What's the best church home for us? College savings, retirement plans,...on and on and on....... Pretty exhausting stuff, huh? Yet we want to be wise with our choices in everything. Where do we turn?
As the royal priesthood of the King, we're fortunate to have an infallible truth before us--- the bible. God lays out so many of the answers we seek there. However, sometimes things aren't clear to us. For instance, God's word won't say, "Patricia should go into a nursing career in Sacramento." Although there are times I wish it did! No, in those times, we go to God in prayer over a matter. For we know He didn't leave us empty-handed. He left us with the Holy Spirit to give us the wisdom we desire. We only have to ask in obedience and sincerity for Him to help us make the right decisions in accordance with His will.
The neat thing about it is God gives us human resources as well. He commands us in His word to use careful discretion from whom we choose to seek guidance. He wants us to choose our friends wisely. In maturing in God's word, I've found a good mental checklist for choosing friends wisely. Firstly, do your friends edify God with their lives? Do they know Him personally? How do they conduct themselves? Secondly, are your friends trustworthy? A rule of thumb I've found to be useful is to hear how they speak of other friends. If they slander other friends with malicious talk or gossip or betray confidences, you can be assured they'll do the same to you. However, if they're careful with their words, thoughtful, and more in line with what we find in Galatians 5:22-23, they're a much better choice. Thirdly, are they willing to tell you like it is? Will they hold you accountable? I have a few friends who aren't afraid to give it to me straight in a loving way. I respect them for it. On my end, I need to be open to criticism which will grow me spiritually. Lastly, can you and do you talk with your friends comfortably about God and your faith? If you have friends who are spiritually mature, God can use them to give sound advice and intercede in prayer for you. They are the types of friends who try to align themselves with the Word.
I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to my closest friends and asked for their wisdom in situations that didn't feel right or situations where the answer was unclear. I needed their objectivity and clarity. In those times, I was so thankful to have them. Furthermore, had my choice of friends not been of God during those times, the advice I received could've been detrimental. And even now, I still understand the importance of checking the advice anyone gives me with scripture--- even that of a pastor. We're all human, after all. We make mistakes. I know I've made my share. We have to stay in the Word and stay in a relationship with God. No one can or should do it for us. It's up to us.
As a side note, Christians are not to merely surround themselves with others like themselves. While we need to make good choices concerning those with whom we spend the bulk of our time, we cannot isolate ourselves. We are commissioned to "go and make disciples of all nations." We certainly can't do this and remain in a comfort zone. The solid foundation we build through God's saving grace will strengthen us for the tough stuff and the tough situations. After all, if we look at the example we find in the life of Jesus, we find He placed Himself in some socially corrupt situations for the sake of bringing the lost to a saving knowledge and relationship. He placed himself among the diseased, the outcasts, the hated in order to demonstrate to all that God's love knows no bounds. His loving arms are outstretched for all who long to seek Him.
Father, thank you so much for the godly friends you've placed in my life. I thank you for the accountability I have in them. I know if I'm to strive to live a life free from hypocrisy, I need them. But Lord, above all others, I, we, need You and You alone. No person, no thing, can take Your place. You fill the void. I put my hope and trust in You. We ask you for discernment in our lives, in our relationships, in everything. If a situation seems "off" in some way, please grant the wisdom to know how to handle it. If there are any unhealthy friendships or situations, we ask You to remove the clutter. We want to be cleansed. Thank You for loving us. Thank You for being a Friend. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment