Sunday, April 18, 2010

Confidence in Prayer

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, he hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have what we have asked of Him." 1 John 5:14-15.

How precious it is to know our God cares so much for us to hear our prayers! What an honor it is to come into His presence and talk with Him. It's so neat to know that we aren't just bouncing ideas off a wall but are talking to real Supremacy! Yet that Supremacy still takes the time and truly cares about each of us. He not only cares to hear our prayers over the big things, but loves for us to seek Him in everything. As much as I know my family and friends care for me, their love cannot begin to hold a candle to the love my Father in heaven has for me and for you!

Last week, a very sweet, dear, dear friend of mine called me in tears. She was frantic. She was upset because she was in search of a document that was nowhere to be found. You see, she and her husband have been waiting for awhile to sell their home and move into another home their family could fit in comfortably. She has been so excited about the upcoming closing on the house! In about a week's time, they'll be the proud owners of a brand new home! Yet the voice I heard on the line sounded anything but excited. "Anna" she explained, "I have to have my husband's W2 form to close in less than 2 weeks. We had it when we had our taxes done but now it's nowhere to be found. I've been looking everywhere for almost two days now. I've torn the house apart. I've searched my van. Nothing! I don't know what to do!" Trying to calm her nerves, I asked her, "Could you call and ask for another copy?" She told me she had already inquired about it and had been told it would take over two weeks for her to receive another copy. The woman she had spoken with had told her her hands were tied in the matter. My friend was obviously very upset. I felt helpless to do anything and wished I was in a position to come help her look. So, over the next few minutes, I tried offering all the places I could think of for her to look. Every place I suggested she had already looked. So, I told her, "You know what usually happens? I'll look for something everywhere, THEN pray about it. I usually find it somewhere I have already looked. It's like God is just telling me to trust Him with it to begin with." So, I said, "I'm going to hang up and pray. You go look and call me when you find it." I then proceeded to pray a less-than-eloquent prayer. "God, please help her to find this in the next few minutes if it's within Your will. I pray that You will receive all glory for it. Thank you, God. Amen. "

I went back to doing what I was doing before the initial phone call. Not two minutes passed before the phone rang. I didn't even have to answer to know who would be on the other end. "You found it", I said. "Anna, you won't believe it!", she exclaimed. "I looked where my husband had said it wouldn't be. I found it in the cabinet of the entertainment center. My husband had looked for it in there and had told me not to even bother because it wasn't in there. Yet, I felt compelled to look again. My husband had been looking for it in an envelope but it wasn't in one. It was right there all along." Praise God! I told her of my exact prayer. She had no doubts that the revelation to look there was from God.

How wonderful it is that God cares enough about us to answer prayers about a W2 form. You see, it doesn't matter if our prayers are about a loved one dying of cancer or a child struggling in math. He just wants us to share everything with Him. He wants our praise and He wants our burdens. He invites us to cast all our anxiety on Him. I don't know about you, but I can't think of any human that would long for me to cast all my anxiety on them. No one wants to take on such burden. But God does!

God, how great and wonderful it is that You care that much about me--- about each of us! Thank You for being so patient with me in my lack of faith at times. So often I try to handle problems on my own and THEN I come to you. In those times, I've got it all backwards, Lord. Thank you for hearing our prayers over the big and small things and truly caring over each one. In times I forget to come to You first, I pray you'll send me a gentle reminder. Draw me close to You. I don't want to try to do things on my own because life's just too tough for me to figure out alone. Apart from you I can do nothing! I'm powerless and empty without You! Fill me with Your Spirit and please empty me of all selfishness. I don't want any part of my flesh to hinder You. Thank You, Father. Amen

No comments: