"Strength and honor are her clothing; She shall rejoice in time to come; She opens her mouth with wisdom and on her tongue is the law of kindness. She watches over the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her." Proverbs 31:25-28 NKJV
Happy Mother's Day to all the sweet moms out there! Mother's Day is a day of fond memories for some, hugs, kisses and homemade cards for others, and grief over a mother who's passed on for others. So, for those of you grieving today, please accept my condolences and I hope you're able to reflect on fond memories of your mother.
This morning I awoke to my daughter climbing in my bed wanting to know when I was getting up. She gave me big hugs and kisses and grinned at me with her snaggle-toothed smile. Her eyes were dancing with delight in presenting me with my Mother's Day card and gift. So, I put on my bathrobe and shuffled in a groggy haze toward the kitchen. As I peered over into the great room, I could see my son, weary from lack of sleep from a bad virus, bidding me a good morning with a weary half-smile. As I looked on the kitchen table, I found some cards and pictures from the children. Then my eyes fell on a tote bag they had gotten me. It was a blue and brown striped bag with the following words inscribed on the front in a pretty embroidery: "Her children shall rise up and call her blessed. Proverbs 31:28" I loved it! I felt the need to reflect on those words while my husband and daughter made their way to church while I stayed home with our sick son.
After breakfast, ironing clothes, fixing hair and getting my two out the door, I sat down to really look at that scripture. I prayed over it and pondered the meaning in my own life. I started by backing up a few verses: "Strength and honor are her clothing." What a beautiful portrait. She's a woman who finds her strength in the Lord and remains honorable in her actions. She models this for her husband and children and it takes precedence in her life. She has no concern with how the world views her but carries herself with dignity. She's one who refuses to be conformed to the world and finds worth in bringing glory to God.
I read on.... "She will rejoice in time to come". It didn't say that she would find complete fulfillment everyday in her earthly duties. It didn't say she would always be blissful. It said she would rejoice in time to come. Oh, yes, there are many wonderful, blissful moments along the way. We have moments of sheer delight in our house just being playful with one another. We cuddle, we sing, we play together. However, there are times when we wonder if we're getting it right. Just when I think my kids are getting it--- just when I think the lesson has been learned, they revert to old ways. I could easily grow weary in that. Yet this verse promises I will rejoice. I must keep doing what God has called me to do and THEN I'll rejoice. In the meantime, I completely enjoy and embrace the quality moments!
"She opens her mouth with wisdom and on her tongue is the law of kindness." This is a woman who seeks discernment in the Lord. She thinks before she speaks and she chooses her words carefully. She is known for her wisdom-- not intellect-- but godly wisdom. She doesn't spend her time in gossip. She builds others up. She's loved by others for her sweet spirit. Others trust her with secrets. They trust her advice. How marvelous! I personally know women like this. My own mother is one of them. I never hear her gossip, She keeps my confidence and she's careful with her advice. Women in her workplace seek her out for encouragement, prayer and advice.
"She watches over the ways of her household and she does not eat the bread of idleness." Now first, I do want to point out that this woman can come across as a robot if we don't carefully look at these scriptures. If we read through the entire Proverb, we can feel like failures. Who can accomplish all this in one day? Look at verse 15 and see that she has maidservants. She does have help. Whew! We can take heart in knowing we're not expected to be superwomen who never sleep! What this verse is telling us is she makes the most of her time. She's not spending her days in frivolity but making the most of the assignment the Lord has given her. She's greatly respected for it.
"Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also and he praises her." How sweet this one is. Unfortunately, it's not always true, is it? There are times when I've spent a lot of time cooking what I think is a wonderful home-cooked meal only to find my children pushing it around on their plates with their forks. They're not exactly singing my praises at those moments. There are times when I'm setting the timer for them to get homework done and they certainly aren't blessing me with words of gratitude. Then there are moments like this morning. I get up and look at the snaggle-toothed smile, the sweet hug from my husband, and the fatigued, half-grin from my son and I do know they "call me blessed." I hear my husband tell others how fortunate he is. I hear the praises. In those times, I know I can keep running the race.
Women, you may be in a difficult situation right now where you don't feel bliss today. You wonder about the point in it all. Take heart, for this scripture promises you WILL rejoice! Even if your efforts seem to go unnoticed, there's a God who sees. He taking account of all of it. Great will be your reward in heaven. You are precious. Your model for those children is of the utmost importance. They see you and they take it in. Your husband may not show it, but he'll respect you for it. Keep running the race.
God bless you all and I wish you all a very Happy Mother's Day!
Loving, Heavenly Father, thank you for this day. Thank you for a day that honors godly mothers. Father, we know the importance of a mother. We know what a difference she makes when we see the care and concern Jesus had for his own mother when He was on the cross. In His dying hour, He wanted to make sure His mother would be cared for. She had worth. Father, thank You for the worth we have in You. Thank You for the opportunity You've given us to help fulfill Your plan. Lord, bless the mothers today. I pray they would feel cherished and loved. Help them to know the love You have for them. Thank you. In Jesus' glorious name, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment