"Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the gold image which I have set up?....... Nebuchadnezzar spoke, saying, "Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego who sent His Angel and delivered His servents who trusted in Him, and they have frustrated the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they should not serve nor worship any god except their own God! Therefore, I make a decree that my people, nation, or language which speaks anything amiss against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego shall be cut in pieces, and their houses shall be made an ash heap; because there is no other God who can deliver like this." Daniel 3:14, 28,29.
Our church is currently doing a series called "Uncommon." It's a series pertaining to how we're expected to carry out the gospel here on earth according to the word of God. We're focusing on Romans 12 about not being conformed to sinful ways but being transformed by God's Word and His decrees. We are to live lives pleasing to Him. We are to live unapologetically according to His Word which is our Authority. The series has probably been my favorite of all series' I've heard.
A few nights ago, I was putting the children to bed and my daughter asked me to read the story of the fiery furnace. It's one of her favorite stories. So, we opened the bible to the book of Daniel and read. For any who are unfamiliar with the story, the tyrant King Nebuchadnezzar had an approximate 100ft tall gold statue built and decreed that all citizens must bow down and worship this statue. Any who refused to worship the statue would be cast into a fiery furnace. Well, some Chaldeans approached the king and ratted out Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego saying they refused to worship the golden image. Nebuchadnezzar became enraged and demanded they be thrown into the furnace. Yet before he did, he was so angry he demanded the furnace be heated seven times hotter than usual. He wanted to be certain the men would be burned before all. Yet, before he threw them in, he gave them a chance at some last words. He gave them a chance to submit to his authority so he might be able to give them a break. Their response? Verses 16-18: "O, Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If that is the case, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your hand, O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up." Wow!!! What a response! Here these men were surrounded by everyone else bowing down and worshipping this image. Yet they refused. They not only withstood being ostracized socially, they risked their lives. They knew the stakes yet refused to budge. What conviction!!!
We paused to talk over that section about what we would do in that situation. Not what we know to be right... but what would we do??? After a few moments of discussion, we continued reading. As we continued reading (almost in recitation as this is one of my daughter's favorite bible stories!), we saw the men enter the furnace. An Angel "like the Son of God" (perhaps the preincarnate Christ Himself) was seen in the furnace with the men. He had come to protect them. They exited the furnace without even the slightest smell of smoke on them!! Then came our FAVORITE part! King Nebuchadnezzar came back and declared there would be no other gods before the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego. All would now worship the One and Only true God!
Reflect with me for a moment. What if the story had taken a different course? Suppose Daniel's friends would've decided to conform? What if they would've blended into the crowd like the rest and chosen to just bow down to the image anyway? What would've been the outcome? Instead, they chose to do what was right in the eyes of the Lord. Look what happened! The king and all citizens were now worshipping God. Prior to that, they didn't know God. Now, because of these three men, a mass of people worshipped God! All because they chose not to conform.
A remarkable story which still resonates with me and I''m sure with many others is the story of Cassie Bernall in the 1999 Columbine school shootings. When the gunman asked who believed in God, she boldly proclaimed her faith knowing the consequences. What conviction. As a child of God, she knew she couldn't separate her identify from Him. She belonged to Him and there was no way she could've answered any differently.
Fortunately, most us aren't faced with anything like a fiery furnace or impending death. Our choices are typically much easier. Yet how often do we really stand firm in our convictions? How often do we take the time to get to know people and tell them about Jesus? Do we quietly sneak away so as to not make a scene? Christ sure didn't hide, did He? He didn't blend into the crowds. He would've never been called "Common". What would the average person say about you?
Father, this is tough subject matter. Honestly, Lord, it can be scary to go against the grain. I know I often deal with anxiety in this area. Will people think I'm a fanatic? Will they think I'm a weirdo? Will they even listen to what I have to say? God, I know I have to leave these things up to You. Your word tells me I am not to fear men. I have to ask for Your guidance so the delivery will come straight from You. If I do it by myself, I'll get nowhere. Help me to rely solely on You. You're powerful and Mighty to save through Your Son, Jesus. Thank You for Your faithfulness. In Christ's name, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment