Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Compass

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." Joshua 1:8

Joshua 1:8 is a verse I've been trying to memorize over the last week. It has served as a reminder that God's Word is there to guide me through life. In times of trouble, despair, question, and even elation, I can pour myself into the Word of God and seek answers, comfort or understanding in my circumstances.

Recently, I heard a message about the storms of life. The pastor stated something I'd heard many times before: "You've either come through a storm, you're in a storm, or you're about to enter a storm." We heard the message on a Sunday morning. Guess what? We found ourselves in a storm the following Monday night. The storm brought us to our knees but fortunately, God has sustained us. Had we not been equipped, we could've easily been shaken and lost ourselves and our footing. However, we knew that God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in times of trouble.

You see, we never know when a storm will hit. We have to be equipped when it does. We equip ourselves by meditating on the Word and through prayer. We won't be promised ease in life, but we do know that God will see us through. He longs for us to want to get to know Him. He desires an intimate relationship which brings forth a genuine love in our hearts for Him. He doesn't want us to come to Him because it's something we're supposed to do but because we love Him so much we long to be in His presence.

Along with His word, I'd like to also recommend some companions which have been great resources. The first is a "Names of God" book. I love this book because it goes through the many different names for God as found in the bible. I can pray those specific names according to the events of my life. For instance, if I find myself needing guidance, I can pray to Him as Counselor according to John 16:7. Aside from that, I can come to know my Creator more intimately by seeing Him in so many facets. The other resource is a "Bible Promise Book". This book is particularly helpful because it breaks down different areas of need or concern and gives verses for those areas. As an example, I may be dealing with anger in an area of my life. I can open up my Bible Promise Book and look under the guide word "anger" and find numerous scriptures telling my what God's word says about anger. It is a condensed way of helping me combat that area in my life. Both resources are well worth the money and you'll find yourself using them time and time again, not only for yourself but also for friends.

So, I encourage you to meditate on God's word. Get to know Him and fall in love with Him. Allow Him to guide you each day. God is never to be an afterthought. He is first and foremost. Let us make Him priority over the storms, daily activities, relationships and our lives.

Father, I confess the times where I've not put You in rightful place. There have been times in my life where going to your Word has been routine like any other part of my day. Lord, may I never be anything close to lukewarm when it comes to my relationship with You. Your Word warns me that You will spit the lukewarm out of Your mouth. You desire a loving relationship with me. Lord, I give you my heart and my all. May my words and my actions match that. Guide me, Counselor. I love you, Almighty God. In the name of my precious Savior, Amen.

No comments: