"The young woman was lovely and beautiful." Esther 2:7
Beauty Secret Revealed! How often do we see that or some other similar catchphrase gracing the title of some popular women's magazine lining the grocery store check out? It's unavoidable and most of us, if we're honest with ourselves, glance at the magazine cover just to see what it says. "Lose ten pounds in a week." How? Hmmmm... Maybe I should just scan the article to find out! The airbrushed, cellulite-free, perfect image on the cover often leaves us feeling a little despondent. The feelings of imperfection soon begin to take over. Before we know it, our focus on buying groceries shifts to our untoned arms. Sigh....
Admittedly, I've fallen into the same trap. I've been through stages of exercising myself into oblivion, falling into the lie that my self worth can only be found in a size 2. Never splurging on anything, exercising constantly. I was 13% body fat and in prime physical condition. I could do more consecutive push-ups than most men. Yet something didn't feel right. As I pushed myself to the next challenge, I kept feeling a lack of peace. God was calling me to slow down. He was calling me to be still in Him. He was calling me to shift my focus. As I kept pushing myself, He allowed a running injury to help me reevaluate my focus. I had no choice but to slow down. I'll be forever thankful for that opportunity.
You see, the few rare times when we see a woman's beauty mentioned in scripture, (Sarai, Rebekah, Esther...) we see so much more than physical outward beauty. Within her is a radiant beauty shining. God fills her with His beauty and it shines through her for all to see. It's a breathtaking sight to behold.
I've seen Hollywood starlets who were gorgeous at first glance only to see ugliness come out in an interview. I went from finding them beautiful to not being able to watch them on screen any longer. I've also seen women who may not have been considered beautiful by Hollywood standards become exquisite in my eyes the more I got to know them. In such cases, not only did I find their personalities appealing, but they also became more beautiful in every sense of the word.
Ladies, there is so much more to this life than how you measure up physically. Our opinion of ourselves is a battle that rages within most of us except for the few who have reached that amazing level of spiritual maturity where it no longer matters (like my own precious mother). Sadly, we place more emphasis on the outside than the inside. You know, we can mow the grass in our yard and it looks neat and clean for awhile, but if we don't water and fertilize it, it will begin to turn brown and die. What was once beautiful will no longer be.
If your priorities are out of focus, take time to prayerfully reevaluate. Ask God to grow you spiritually. Ask Him to help you radiate His light through you. Ask Him to get you to a point in your life where when people see you, you aren't the first thing they notice. Instead what they see is Jesus. It's a growing process and I'll be the first to admit that I still have a long way to go. Let's make it our goal together.
Lastly, for those of you with daughters, carefully instill in them a sense of self-worth found only in the Lord. They will face so much in terms of appearance as they get older. Most likely, they will be their own worst critics. Many young girls fall into eating disorders or dressing provocatively to catch the attention of young boys. Our instruction, along with the model we provide in how we conduct ourselves will help steer them in the right direction.
Father, this was a tough one for me to write. It's not always easy for me to put myself out there. However, I'm so thankful you've brought me to a place in my life where I realize human opinions don't matter as long as I'm righteous in your eyes. Lord, thank You for bringing me to this point. Thank you for freeing me from that bondage. Yet Father, I realize it is an ongoing battle. Help me and other women keep our priorities in perspective. I pray that we'll use our bodies, Your vessel for those of us who know You, to bring glory and honor to You. Grow us, Lord. Grant us guidance in our daily lives. Help us with that most difficult area: balance. Lastly, Father, I pray that as we seek Your will we'll feel encouraged to keep going. Father, so often we feel like we aren't getting it right. We feel like we don't measure up. We question ourselves. Help us, Lord. May we find our confidence in You. Thank You for being our guide. Thank You for the power of the Holy Spirit to direct and convict us when necessary. Most importantly, thank You so much for loving us just as we are. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment