Sunday, September 12, 2010

Knowing God's Word

"Your word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You" Psalm 119:11

Have you ever felt like the more you begin to learn about something the less you know? I find that to be so true in my personal bible study-- at least from a human perspective. I open God's word to meditate on it daily and often find that passages I've known for years were never really clear to me. It's so awesome how God only reveals things in His timing and waits until we're ready to understand and fully comprehend those truths. It's in those times I shake my head and think, "Wow, I really don't have a clue!" However, the neat thing about it is when I finally come to that realization of becoming less, God's ready to give me more. I'm nothing without Him. Nothing. The more I get that through my thick skull, the more I can reflect Him.

It's so important to put God's Word in its proper perspective. Often, as stated in the last blog, we have an unfortunate tendency to rush our time spent with Him. Time with Him becomes an afterthought in such cases. Yet we have to know His word to understand it correctly. Now I would never ever condone sitting in any congregation while picking apart a message or reading a book by a Christian author and calling into question the writings. We need to support and pray over those whom God has called to serve Him in ministry. However, we do have to be careful to know His word in order to identify heresy (that is, teaching which is contrary to the Word). I'll give a couple examples: One was a book I was reading this week on parenting. It was one someone had suggested years ago and purchased for me. I hadn't gotten around to reading it so I decided to crack it open while I was doing my elliptical exercise this week (which has become a habit. I've been killing two birds with one stone-- get a couple of books read a week and get my exercise. Plus, it makes it go by so much faster!). I began reading, and was ready to throw the book in the trash after the first chapter. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and continued on. What I read was completely contrary to God's plan for child-rearing. The book was about permissive parenting. For instance, Johnny has to be at school at 7:30 in the morning but his bedtime's at 8. Johnny begins to cry that the stars are beautiful and wants to go view them at 8. The author suggests that sometimes it's good to break the rules and go look at the stars. So Johnny cries at bedtime and the parents say, "We'll take the time to go look at the stars." My issue was that Johnny could've looked at the stars at 7:30 or on a weekend but he chose to throw a tantrum and the parents gave in because they didn't want to have him miss the opportunity. This is where the Bible is a great tool for instruction. It commands us to train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. The problem with the author's stance was that Johnny doesn't have the maturity to know how much sleep he needs. He doesn't know what's good for him. He has, however, learned he can pitch a tantrum and Mommy and Daddy will give in. The problem with it was, the author was very convincing with her argument. If the reader was not familiar with what the Bible has to say, it might be easy to be persuaded by her way of thinking. (For the record, I'm completely for spontaneity and enjoying the wonders of God's creation with our children, I just don't believe in allowing children to use manipulation to get their way). All that to say, after chapter two, and SEVERAL more examples like the one above where parents give in after the child is upset, the book found my file 13, if you get my drift.

The other example was brought up in a Wednesday night class I'm taking at church. I hadn't yet had the opportunity to take one of these classes. The class I chose is challenging and the leader is one of the wisest people I know when it comes to knowing and living out God's word. He brought up a trend with which I'm sure you're familiar. He talked about anger with God. He said that many have said that it's okay to be angry with God because He knows our hearts anyway. He gave a pointed reminder of how contrary to God's word that belief is. We have no right to be angry with God. Angry at sin, yes. But God? No way. He is sovereign and knows what's best for us at every turn. To show anger or questioning shows a lack of faith. We can admit to Him that our thoughts aren't His thoughts and we don't understand but we trust Him and praise His name through everything. All glory goes to him. Examples of this? Read the book of Job. Study Jesus' prayer in the garden of Gethsemane over the removal of the cup. Jesus prayed, "Not my will, but Thine". We'll never understand God's ways. We're not meant to. Our minds are limited. That's where faith and trust comes in.

My point in all this is, we have to study God's word. We have to continue to grow and learn about who He is. Then, and only then, can we discern what is in alignment with His word and His will for us. You don't have to be smart, or knowledgeable on your own. In fact, if you'll humble yourself and realize your limitations, you'll be in that meek position for Him to reveal Himself and His word. His word promises fulfillment for those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. Seek Him. Draw near to Him and He will draw near to you. Don't rush it. Just be still.

Father, there's so much of you I don't know and don't fully understand. Thank you for revealing Yourself to me according to Your timing. Help me to be obedient and quiet to be able to hear You speak. Speak to me, Lord. Help me to be more like you each day. Help me to recognize the lies and schemes of the evil one and convict me to flee. I pray that through Your power, I would command any thoughts contrary to Your word to be gone before they even try to take up residence in my mind. Give me wisdom to know Your word and that which is contrary to Your word. Thank You for loving me. I praise You and Your sovereignty. In the precious name of Your Son, Amen.

No comments: