Saturday, September 25, 2010

"Small" Gifts Go a Long Way!

Then she said to her mistress, "If only my master were with the prophet who is in Samaria! For he would heal him of his leprosy." ...... And his servants came near and spoke to him and said, "My father, if the prophet had told you to do something great, would you have done it? How much more then, when he says to you, Wash and be clean?" --2 Kings 5:3, 13

Do you ever find yourself looking at others in awe of their talents and gifts? Do you look at the life of people like Billy Graham and feel like you pale in comparison? Do you feel like you don't really have anything great or outstanding to offer, that you're just and average Joe? Not so! I'm going to share a story with you that I'll be sharing with my Sunday School students tomorrow which will dispel that perception. So get ready to do some self-examination! Don't worry, it's all good and it's all GOD!

You see, there was this powerful army commander of the king of Syria who found himself stricken with this disgusting, terrible skin disease called leprosy. Now leprosy often called for a quarantine for the sick individual. As you can imagine for a man in this guy's position, this was a big deal. His name was Naaman. The great irony with Naaman was the Lord himself had granted Naaman many victories in battle yet Naaman didn't even know the Lord in a personal way. Naaman bowed down and worshipped other gods. He was in major need of some serious intervention.

So, meanwhile, Naaman's army decided to bring back a servant girl from Israel and hold her captive. She became a servant to Naaman's wife. Despite the fact that this girl was nothing more than a lowly servant, she was amazing in her faith and obedience to God. She could've chosen to hold her captivity against Naaman and his army but instead she spoke to Naaman's wife and told her that Naaman could go to the prophet Elisha for healing from his skin disease. Naaman's wife, in turn, told Naaman about the exchange with the girl and Naaman decided to heed the girl's advice.

So, Naaman decided to go to Elisha but was sorely disappointed when Elisha wouldn't even see him face-to-face. (Elisha needed to remain ceremonially clean and touching a leper would tarnish him). So Elisha sent a messenger to tell him to wash in the Jordan River seven times and he'd be clean. In all his pride, he scoffed at the idea and stormed off. He pretty much thought it was nothing more than stupid and useless advice.

After hearing this, Naaman's servants came along and encouraged him to heed the advice. "What if you'd been told to do something great? Would you have done it?", they asked. In other words, "What have you got to lose?" Then, because of their encouragement and exhortation, Naaman decided to shelf his pride and stubborn streak and take a trip to the Jordan. In the end, he was cleansed both physically and spiritually, renouncing other gods and claiming the one and only God as his own.

Now here's where this story applies to us: Could it be that we're the servant girl? Could it be that we're the servants? Would Naaman have been cleansed had it not been for the faithful testimony of the servant girl or the exhortation and encouragement of the servants? These folks may have seemed to fade in the background of the story with the primary focus being on Naaman and Elisha, but it took many different roles to bring Naaman from belligerence to obedience... from faithlessness to faithfululness.

Friends, we're the hands and feet of Jesus. No gift is insignificant. Whether you're a prayer warrior, a cook who loves to take food to others, a mercy giver, or someone who just likes to get in there and roll her sleeves up and do the behind-the-scenes work, it's all important to the glorification of God. Alternately, what happens when we feel conviction to use one of our gift to the Lord and we choose not to? Well, it's kinda like that old Scrooge movie where Ebeneezer Scrooge is forced to view his future if he continues on the path he's on. How differently things could play out if he just makes some changes. He has the power to make those changes now.

Do you ever feel the Holy Spirit calling you to do something for Him? It could be taking a meal to a sick neighbor, sending a card to a deployed soldier, telling a forlorn cashier about God's saving grace... When convicted, do you do it? Think about it this way, had the servant girl kept her mouth shut or the servants chosen indifference, they would've missed out on being an integral part of Naaman's transformation. They would've missed out on the eternal rewards and would've been held accountable for their indifference.

What a neat portrait of salvation. Just like Naaman, we're called to step out in faith and surrender to Christ. We're lepers, quarantined from heaven, but we can be washed clean by faith and obedience and have full access to eternal life in heaven.

Who played an important role in your salvation? Thank them for their obedience to God. Then, take the time to do some personal reflection in your own life. I almost hesitate to say this, but I feel like the Holy Spirit has been convicting me to bring up an important matter in salvation. I think many "Christians" are confused as to what salvation entails. I think many are falsely convinced that salvation from God is all about the prayer of forgiveness and repentance and you're saved. In part, that is true, because it is grace. However, if there's no change in your life, if you never feel conviction to serve, to study God's word, to grow spiritually, or to advance the kingdom of heaven by sharing the gospel, it's time to do a heart check. You see, salvation is more than uttering a short prayer. It's about surrender. It's about taking up our cross and following Him.

Now let me be clear, I'm NOT saying we're saved based on our works. There is NOTHING we can do to get us into heaven. However, our surrender to Christ should naturally bring forth conviction in us to bear fruit in our lives, to advance His kingdom, to make changes. If you're in a state of complacency where you think you can do whatever you want and grace has covered it, WATCH OUT! That is NOT grace! You may be deceived. Christ wouldn't have wasted His time dying on the cross for us to continue living like a child of the Prince of Darkness. If we're in the light, then we walk like we're in the light. Amen?

Get on your knees and cry out to God. Even if you've already prayed the prayer to Him before, if you're feeling unsure, do it again. Is He calling you to Himself? Listen, don't delay!

Pray with me. "Father, I am a lowly sinner. Your word says that ALL have sinned and fallen short of Your Glory. I'm no exception. Oh, Father, forgive me. I know that every time I disobey, I'm driving nails into the hands and feet of Your Son. I put Him on that cross. Oh, Lord, I want to turn from my sinful state. I want to surrender my life to You. I long to please you, Father. I'm tired of being in doubt. I'm tired of being outside of Your will. I want to know You and I want to reflect and bring glory to You. I open my arms wide and look up to your heavens and ask that you fill me with Your Spirit. Breathe eternal life into me. I pray You would be Lord of my life. I Surrender ALL. I long to live my life for You. I'm tired of living it for myself. Cleanse me, Father. I thank You and praise You for this precious gift. Help me to use it for Your glory and to be the servant you've called me to be. Help me to use the spiritual gifts you've instilled in me for Your glory. I love you, Lord and I can't wait to get to know you better. In the name of Jesus, Amen."

If you prayed that prayer in complete surrender and obedience, you are part of the family of God. Make it public. I urge you to get a bible and find a bible following group of believers in a local church. Go and ask the pastor to help you make it public and follow up with a public baptism just as Jesus modeled.

If you did this long ago, make a commitment to be more fruitful for the kingdom of God. It's our commission!

No comments: