"During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission." Hebrews 5:7
Submission..... now that's a loaded word, huh? It tends to make people squirm upon reading it. There's usually such a negative connotation behind it. We hear that word and automatically think about a loss of freedom and control over our lives. Whether it's a command for children to submit to their parents' authority, wives to submit to their husbands, or Christians to submit to the Lord, it's an uncomfortable thing. By nature, we want to hold the reins. We don't want to hand things over. We don't want to let someone else get behind the wheel. Yet, when we look at Jesus' example, we see submission.
The Lord directed me to submit to Him in accordance with His word just a few days ago. It was in an area which is probably most difficult for me to relinquish control--- motherhood. This particular instance involved my son wanting to follow his desires over what the word of God commanded. It was a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning. We had returned home from a basketball game and my son wanted to go out and shoot a few hoops. We had been rushing around that morning to get ready and he hadn't yet had his quiet time alone with God. Before he shot out the door to play some basketball, I asked him if he'd had his quiet time. His response was, "Mom, I wanna go out and practice some more. I didn't make any of the shots at the game today. I've gotta practice if I'm gonna get better." Of course, as a mother, everything in me wanted to remind him of his skewed priorities and how he needed to think about that. I wanted to convict him to put God first in his life. However, God had other plans. I felt an immediate conviction in the Holy Spirit to keep my mouth shut on the subject. After my son walked out the door, I prayed. "Lord, I know you don't want me to nag him on the subject. I feel like I'm constantly having to remind him to do things. I want him to want to do what is right in your eyes. Father, convict him to want to spend time with you alone in prayer and in your word," I prayed silently.
I went on about my business of doing breakfast dishes after my son walked out the door. The Lord had given me a peace about it and I had determined to let it go to the point of even forgetting about it. I could hear the ball pounding on the pavement outside while I went about my daily chores. About 45 minutes later, I heard my son come rushing in the house and shuffling up the stairs. I had moved onto other things when I heard him enter the room sometime later. "Mom", he said, "let me tell you about what I just learned in my devotional study today. It was pretty neat.....". He trailed off into a story about the scripture he'd read and the application story of a boy about his own age who'd wanted to do what was right in the eyes of the Lord. I just cracked a little smile as I listened intently. How much sweeter it had been to do things God's way.
I'll never underestimate the power of praying on the behalf of others. As the scripture tells us, God hears the prayers of his children when those prayers are lifted up in faith and reverence. He longs to have us relinquish the control to Him. He has it all in His control anyway. We need to just give it over to Him already! Honestly, I think back on that situation and determine how it would've probably ended up had I decided to take matters into my own hands. Oh, my son probably would've done his study, but he would not have delighted in it. He would've been doing it just because his mom gave him that command. Instead, by turning it over to God, we were both blessed! I was able to see prayer being answered and my son was able to follow through on something out of the conviction of his heart. That's the way it should've been all along. After all, we want to mold our children to be able to lead lives pleasing to God once they grow up and leave. Sometimes it's best to leave the conviction to the One who knows us best.
Heavenly Father, thank you for the power of intercessory prayer. How marvelous it is to see you answer our prayers and petitions! Thank you for those who have prayed on my behalf and thank you for hearing the prayers I lift up for others. You are the Almighty. You are my Counselor. Thank you for working in my life and moving me in your will. Guide me and direct my paths. Allow your Holy Spirit to intercede in my prayers that I may pray that which is pleasing to you. Thank you for making me righteous by your extended hand of grace and mercy. I love you, Lord. In the name of my precious Savior, Jesus, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment