"This is how God showed His love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:9-10
Love is in the air! Candy hearts, chocolates, flowers, romantic movies. Valentine's Day is definitely a day for displays of love. In fact. one of the things I enjoy most about Valentine's Day is the thought and preparation for the day. It's great fun for my children. It's definitely one of their favorite days.
Over the last week, we've baked cookies in heart shapes and had fun decorating them. We had a wonderful opportunity to make Valentine's packages at our church and hand them out at a nursing home. The children had fun filling out cards and gathering up candies to give to classmates. There was also the search for the "perfect card" for my husband for the big day. It was all filled with excitement in organizing all the details to make the day a special one.
I think the thing I love most about Valentine's Day is the opportunity we have to look beyond ourselves. We get to show love to others and let them know what they mean to us. We have the opportunity to make others' smile. We get to bring joy to others. In fact, one of the things I love to see most is the preparation of classroom Valentines. Since my children are still fairly young, they're required to give Valentines to all classmates. What's wonderful about it is knowing there will be no child left out. All children will receive a Valentine. They all have something to open and get the wonderful feeling that others care about them.
It's good to feel loved and appreciated. However, no other relationship can touch the love our Father in heaven has for us. Since we are selfish creatures, our displays of love aren't without limitations. Not so with God. His love amazes me. I often disobey Him and I don't spend as much time with Him as I should. I get in a hurry and sometimes rush through my prayers to Him. It's funny, when I think about the repercussions that ensue following these types of behaviors in human relationships, I realize the depth of His love for me. If I fall short with people, there's often silent treatment, ostracizing, criticism, lashing out and sometimes, excommunication--- even if I've aplogized! God, on the other hand, when I go to Him with a pure heart of repentance, extends love. There's mercy there. He won't hold a grudge. He'll love me as He always has. What an amazing love that is! What a difference there is between the two. His love knows no bounds. I'm thankful for that!
So, on Valentine's Day, I'm so thankful for my husband and children and loved ones. I'm glad to have their love in my life. They are such blessings. But the real, enduring kind of love comes from the Father! I wish every Valentine's Day fell on Sunday. It's so appropriate to recognize the source of love and come to Him in worship on such a day as today. Let us worship our Father of love!
"Father, I adore you, lay my life before you. How I love you," Thank you for the love you show us Lord. Thank you that your love knows no bounds. You are Love! Thank you for loving us. May we show you love by coming to you in prayer, meditating on your word, obeying your commands, and loving others. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment