Monday, February 8, 2010

A Healthy Dose of Reality

"You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below." Exodus 20:3-4











We've all heard this as one of the Ten Commandments many, many times. It's one of the "biggies." Yet we also tend to think it's something we have a pretty good handle on. If we're not hungering for money or success, if we're not too into things of monetary value, then we're good. Right? Wrong! Lemme share with you my little healthy dose of reality as put before me by my dear, sweet husband recently! It was something I needed to hear and something which served as a blatant reminder of falling back into the snare of our carnal nature.







I take the Word of God very seriously. Unfortunately, this hasn't always been the case. There was a time in my life where I slipped into a comfortable place of complacency. I felt like I could go to church, read a bible verse here or there, help in a few areas in the church and I was covered. I didn't really take the time for growth in the Lord. I didn't spend undivided time in His Word daily. I didn't come to Him in repentance for my sins. I allowed the sin barrier to come between us. There was no real desire to know Him better or be more like Him. I was fine with just cruising along. I could go to church and learn some from the pastor's message.







Over the years, I've always felt the conviction of the Holy Spirit in different areas since my conversion. In some of those areas I chose to listen. In other areas I chose to ignore the warnings. Over time, I began to realize the risk in not heeding the warnings that were laid on my heart. I began to see how God calls His children back to him. If we won't listen, He'll use whatever means necessary to pull us back to Him. He brings us to our knees with a broken and contrite heart. He does what it takes for us to depend solely on him and give Him all the glory and honor in our lives.






I'm learning that a lack of moderation in any area of my life with the exception of my spiritual growth will have a hindrance on my relationship with God and results in disobedience to His commands. This can occur specifically in the ways in which we invest our time daily. As my husband gently pointed out recently, I had gotten off-balance in the area of time management recently. Of course, I've been a hard worker and diligent in maintaining order in my household. I've met all the physical needs of my family. In the evenings, however, I've spent far too much time with my laptop in my lap surfing the internet. My justification has been that my husband was watching shows that were of no particular interest to me so I would just get online while sitting beside him. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the fact that this breaks down communication between the two of us. He was completely engaged in one activity while I was engaged in another. Unfortunately, the amount of time spent on these activities was becoming obsessive. So, my husband lovingly admonished me in this area. He reminded me of the importance of our time together. With a sheepish nod of agreement, I fully recognized his point.



The Webster's definition for idolatry is as follows: 1) The worship of a physical object as a god and 2)immoderate attachment or devotion to something. If we look at the second definition and take a careful assessment of our time and devotion, we may not like what we see. While my immoderate devotion was creeping up in the form of a laptop, it can hit us in many areas. We can be immoderately devoted to our children, putting their needs before that of our spouse. It can come in the form of devotion to our careers, our friendships, our belongings, and even church activities. It's so important to maintain a healthy balance. It's so difficult, I think, especially for women. By nature, we want to create a warm home, nurture friendships, be good mothers, be helpful in doing for others, etc... However, any one of those areas, if too much emphasis is placed there, over developing our relationship with God, builds a wall between us and our Father. Luke 12:34 reminds us that our hearts will be where our treasure is. We must carefully examine what it is we treasure.



How about you? How do you spend the bulk of your time? If you were to sit down and look at how you fill each minute of the day would it be an eye-opening experience? Are spending time on things which are self-serving? Are you placing more importance on things or people than God? If so, it's time to re-prioritize. I'm right there with you. We all have to take inventory. None of God's children are exempt.



Father, you are Holy. You are worthy of our worship. The desires of our hearts must be to you. He bow before your splendor and majesty. Your omnipotence amazes us. You reign over all. You are worthy of all we have and all we are. Father, help us in finding balance in our lives. We want to live a life pleasing to you. Please forgive me where I've misplaced my allegiance in my activities. Father, I know there's nothing wrong with rest. In fact, you command us to rest. However, I do know that we are to manage our time wisely. Please give me discernment that I may do that according to your Word. I long to be a good steward of my time and all to which you've entrusted me. Thank you, Father for using your gentle correction. Thank you for using my husband in that way. I pray that I may always be willing to be molded in your likeness. May my heart never be hardened toward you. I praise you because you are worthy of all praise. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: