Sunday, February 21, 2010

We Are Free!

There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1







I don't know about you, but the above verse makes me breathe a huge sigh of relief! Whew! It's a huge relief to me to know that as much as I mess up, I'm forgiven. I'm not condemned.







Last Sunday in my Sunday School class we were discussing how James 2:10 tells us that if we stumble at just one point in the law, we're guilty of breaking all of it. That verse alone is a blatant reminder of how we fall short in keeping the Ten Commandments. It makes me so thankful that Christ died on the cross so that I wouldn't have to fear my lack of perfection. I know there's no condemnation for my failures. Otherwise, I could look over the past week alone and fret over my failings. I fail in ways that I don't even realize sometimes. I could easily let those shortcomings consume me. Sadly, there are times where I have let my past failures consume me. I've fretted over them. It's one thing to have a godly sorrow over our failures. Such sorrow brings us to a point of repentance where we turn from those failures and seek God's face. However, it's another thing altogether to allow shame to consume us. As I was reminded this week in my bible study, shame holds us back from godly potential. It is a snare used by Satan to make us feel worthless and unworthy of God's love. It is a lie.





It's interesting, we have a wonderful senior pastor at our church who often tells stories of his family dog to help with our understanding of certain points. The stories are a precious application of God's Word. In hearing the stories, it reminds me of my own sweet black Lab mix from my childhood. The dog's name was Susie and she was the sweetest, most gentle, most loyal dog anyone could ever hope to have. How I loved that dog! I'd talk to her when I was happy about something. I'd hug her when sad. All the while she'd sit there as if she truly understood everything I was telling her. She was such a good dog. She was so good, in fact, I distinctly remember a time of her obedience after a trip to the grocery store. We had come home and parked the car in the driveway and went about unloading groceries. It was in the evening, so when we were done, we went in for the night. The next morning as we were making breakfast we discovered the bread for toast was nowhere to be seen. We looked and looked but couldn't find it. So, I volunteered to go outside to check to see if it was still in the car. As soon as I opened the door, I saw Susie sitting by a loaf of bread which lay on the ground untouched. She sat right next to it but didn't try to open the bag or take any. I was amazed. It was so obvious she wanted some, but she'd chosen not to eat any.





In thinking of Susie, I remember her to be an obedient dog with a gentle nature. However, I do recall temporary disobedience. Just like us, she did mess up from time to time. In fact, there was one occasion where she'd messed up and made her remorse obvious. Being an outside dog most of the time, we had to have friends feed her when we went away on vacation. We lived way out in the country, so she was pretty easy to maintain. She just needed food and water, and in those days, she just roamed free. There really weren't any enforced leash laws where we lived. Well, she hated when we left her. It was typically the only time we saw her stubborn streak come out. On this occasion, I remember returning from our vacation and not being able to find her upon our return. We called her and called her the minute we got out of the car. We were panic stricken when she didn't come running at the sound of our voices. We immediately began searching while calling her. After about ten minutes, she slowly rounded the corner of the house with her head low to the ground and her tail tucked between her hind legs. What an unusual greeting compared to her normal jumping and barking. So, I just looked at her. "Susie, you did something. What have you done?", I questioned as if waiting for a reply. She knew, though. She was a smart dog. She slowly turned her back to me and began walking around the other side of the house as if motioning me to follow. On the other side, I found the reason behind her strange behavior. In vengeance for our leaving, she'd dug up some of my dad's beautiful rose garden. She had broken stems and completely uprooted some of it. And as I looked at what she'd done and then into her eyes, I could see remorse. She had acted out in haste and then had time to then about her poor judgment. She knew we'd be disappointed. However, all it took was for me to pat her on the head and tell her it was okay and she was soon jumping and nuzzling up against me as usual.



We're a lot like that. We're impulsive (at least I know I am!) and often do things without thinking them through. We don't listen to God's still small voice warning us against certain things. We jump right in with both feet and do things our own way. Afterwards, we're left feeling guilty over our disobedience. Unlike Susie though, we don't often get over it so quickly. We hold onto shame. We don't allow God to heal us. When in reality, we've already been forgiven. God just wants us to have sorrow over our mistakes to bring us to the point of turning from them and back to him. He doesn't want us to hold onto them. We're free! I don't know about you, but that is such a weight lifted from me. I can look back at times where I've failed, ask God to forgive me and bring healing, turn to Him, and never look back. I can press on. Just like Susie, I can love on Him again without any barriers between us. How thankful I am to know I can let go of past mistakes.







Father, thank you for forgiveness found in Jesus. I'm so glad to know past failures don't have to weigh me down. I know I can come to you with them and you can forgive me and still love me. You don't condemn me when I have a true heart of repentance. Thank you for the hope I have in you. And Lord, for any of us who have past hurts and sorrows, we ask that you bring healing so that we don't have any walls between us and you. We want to look full in your wonderful face. We want to be malleble for your hands to form us into the likeness of Jesus. Oh,, how I love you Father with all that I am. I'm so thankful for your forgiveness and healing. I'm thankful for your refuge and power over darkness. I praise your victorious name! In the name of the precious Son of God, Amen.








No comments: